Updated: Feb 5, 2021
Author: Anya Willis - (fitkids.co.uk)
The coronavirus pandemic has disrupted our lives in more ways than one. Social events have been postponed, people are out of work, kids are home from school—with all this extra time, it’s all too easy to fall into patterns of sedentary behaviors. What better time to focus on your fitness and develop some healthy habits? Staying active at home isn’t as difficult as it might seem. Here are some great exercise ideas to keep you moving!
Keeping the Whole Family Active
If you have grandkids, encourage them to turn off their electronics, get off the couch, and join you for an active game or two.
● You can find plenty of free, family-friendly workouts and fitness programs online.
● Try some fun jump rope games. Jump rope is an excellent form of aerobic activity for kids of all ages!
● Believe it or not, certain video games and apps can help your grandkids get moving.
● Encourage your grandkids to get involved in housework by turning those chores into fun, active games!
● If you set up a workout space in your home, make sure to keep it clean. Clutter can cause feelings of anxiety and stress, which can disrupt your routine.
Essentials for At-Home Strength Training
When it comes to your own physical health and well-being, it’s important to incorporate various forms of exercise into your regular routine. Don’t forget to spend some time strength training every week!
● Carve out space in your home for daily workouts. You could even build a gym in your basement, garage, or spare bedroom!
● Get started with some fundamental strength training exercises like squats, triceps extensions, calf raises, and dumbbell curls.
Effective Cardio Exercises
Regular cardio exercise is important for the health of your heart and lungs but also your mind. Give yourself a mental boost with an energizing cardio routine.
● Outfit your home gym with a cardio machine. Just be sure to research your options first!
● If you don’t have room for a treadmill or elliptical machine, try some no-equipment cardio workouts to get your heart pumping.
● Remember to warm up before your workouts and complete a cool-down stretch when you’re done.
How to Get Started with Yoga
Whether you’re looking for ways to conquer stress at home or you just need a relaxing stretching routine to round out your daily workout, give yoga a try!
● A simple yoga mat and some comfortable clothing are all you need to start practicing yoga at home.
● If you’re completely new to yoga, make sure you master basic poses like mountain pose, downward-facing dog, and bridge pose before attempting anything more advanced.
● Take advantage of free online yoga classes through fitness websites, apps, and YouTube channels.
● When you're ready to advance your practice, try having fun with some yoga props.